Thursday, July 1, 2010

Turf #2

Written by Jonathan Ross
Art by Tommy Lee Edwards

While I enjoyed the first issue, I found that this second one was a massive improvement.  You can see that Ross is learning how to write comics as he goes, this month doing away with the massive amounts of exposition and gigantic blocks of text that cluttered up Edwards's wonderful art in the first issue.

Don't get me wrong - he's still overly wordy in parts, but he is now letting the story tell itself in a more natural way.  And it's an interesting story.

Turf has a vampire clan squaring off with Prohibition-era gangsters for control of New York, which on its own is a strong concept, before you toss in vampiric prophecy, a plucky reporter, and a crashed alien ship.  It's like a big genre blender, and the disparate threads are being balanced out much better now.

For me, the big draw was Edwards's art.  I've been a fan of his for a long time, and his style suits this story quite well.  I am pleased that I am enjoying the story more than I expected to.

No comments: