Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Walking Dead #66

Written by Robert Kirkman
Art by Charlie Adlard and Cliff Rathburn


I've made no secret of how much I love this book. It has been consistently one of my top-five monthlies for a few years now, and I always find it praiseworthy.

That all said, this is one of the best issues I've read in a while. The opening scenes have Rick and company stooping to a new level of brutality, and they are executed with a series of silent splash pages or large panels, which really show off Adlard's skill.

Later, Rick has a couple of important conversations. The first is with Dale, who is close to death. This scene is played perfectly; Kirkman is able to resist easy sentiment, and instead creates an emotionally powerful scene. Later, Rick bares his soul to Abraham, although that doesn't work out the way he expected.

No comments: