Sunday, October 11, 2009

Us

by Brother Ali

I think what comes through the strongest on this album, to me at least, is just how likable Brother Ali is. His lyrics and voice combine to give an impression of a person that is very warm and loving in everything that he does.

That's basically what the album is about too. Ali speaks of his love for music, his children, his family, and the people in his life. He mentions in his liner notes that people respond to the personal aspect of his music, and that does seem to be the focus of this album.

The beats, all by Ant, are also quite warm and soulful. I like how Ant takes a different approach to working with Ali than he does Slug; it gives him a chance to stretch his wings a little and try new things.

I'm pretty sure this is my favourite Brother Ali album now. A classic.

No comments: