Saturday, October 17, 2009

B.P.R.D. 1947 #4

Written by Mike Mignola and Joshua Dysart
Art by Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon


This is a strange series. As I've mentioned before, I have little familiarity with the Hellboy world, and constantly feel like I'm missing some significant references or 'easter eggs' when I read this series.

At the same time, I can appreciate the strange plotting of this book. In this issue, the survivor of the last issue figures out that the blond guy on his team is still alive (I have no idea if these characters have names), and where he is. He leads a rescue squad to free the guy from the clutches of two female vampires. Also, baby Hellboy is looking for pancakes and plays with his dog. Is that significant? I don't know...

There is some very nice character work surrounding the blond guy, who had been lost at sea once. And, as expected, the art by Bá and Moon is stunning (and that's what I'm buying this book for). I like the way they draw baby Hellboy.

No comments: