Sunday, October 11, 2009

Shortcomings

by Adrian Tomine

I loved this book. I've been hearing for a while about how good it is, and I enjoyed some of 32 Stories back in the summer, but really, this comic has exceeded my expectations.

Tomine's story is about Ben, a cantankerous guy who lives with his girlfriend in the Bay Area. They don't seem to get along very well, and when Miko, his girl, gets the chance to take an internship in New York for a few months, she jumps at it. See, part of the reason why their relationship is suffering is because she believes Ben has a thing for white girls.

Once she's out of the picture, Ben decides maybe it's time to achieve a goal he's had for a long time, even though that would prove her right about him.

The book rises above it's Dany Laferierian roots (go read 'Eroshima' if you don't know what I'm referring to) because of the pure strength of Tomine's characterizations. Ben is a complicated, not terribly likable guy, yet I developed a lot of sympathy for him. Miko is a little more of a cipher, but Alice, Ben's lesbian college friend is a riot. There are many moments where this book had me laughing.

I like that Tomine has created a work that is so racially sensitive, yet completely accessible and easy to relate to. He really is a major talent.

No comments: