Monday, October 12, 2009

Taddle Creek

Summer, 2009

I'd thought about picking this up at TCAF last spring, but didn't for some reason. When I saw it again at Word on the Street, and for only $2, I couldn't resist.

Taddle Creek is a literary magazine that only publishes work by people living in the Toronto area. This is their comics issue, and it contains work of a wide variety, some of it not to my liking.

The magazine opens with 'Trinity' by Michael Cho. I really like Cho's work, and this is one of the best examples of it I have ever seen. In fourteen pages, he tells the story of the Manhattan Project, and J. Robert Oppenheimer's career. It's drawn in blue except for the page featuring the explosion, and concerns itself with the minutia of life at Alamogordo. This is worth picking up the magazine for alone.

The other stories or pieces are okay. J. Bone has an interesting piece outlining mankind's evolution, which is wordless. Dave Lapp has a story that is in the same vein and style as his 'Drop-In' book; it's another example of him pushing a kid with a troubled home life to reveal everything to him, not so he can help her, but to satisfy his curiousity. His art does look nice in colour though....

I'm not sure how easy it is to find this magazine (especially outside of the Toronto area), but that Cho piece makes the hunt worthwhile.

No comments: