Saturday, October 31, 2009

Jack of Fables #39

Written by Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges
Art by Russ Braun, Andrew Pepoy, and Jose Marzán Jr.


I find myself increasingly on the fence about this title. This issue was stronger than the last, but I can't escape a general sense of aimlessness in this book.

Jack's recent changes are explained in an amusing development at the end of the book. Jack Frost, meanwhile, displays some intelligence as he takes on two heroic commissions at once, but I think a big part of the problem with this book is that I don't much care about Jack Frost yet.

Babe the blue ox gets the best page in the comic again, although I'm not quite sure what's going on with him - did he just wander off from Jack and Gary?

Also - what's with the cover? I love Bolland's work, but this has nothing to do with the contents, or even the themes, of this issue. This title has two more issues to show me some promise, or I'm going to be saying goodbye.

No comments: