Saturday, October 3, 2009

Jack of Fables #38

Written by Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges
Art by Russ Braun, José Marzán Jr, and Andrew Pepoy


I think the problem with The New Adventures of Jack and Jack is that the usual Jack has become a little played out.

Willingham and Sturges have split this arc between our usual hero, who is now fat, bald and hungry, and his son, Jack Frost, who is on a quest to prove himself as a hero.

The regular Jack part of the book reads as pretty stale, while the Jack Frost section is more interesting, if pretty standard in its execution and approach. My concern is that now that the Literals storyline is complete, after a build up of some thirty-five issues, there's not much left to be said about the Jacks.

While the quality of the comic is quite high in a mechanical sense, I don't feel like I'm reading something new, which was how I always felt in the earlier days of this title. I hope something changes soon, or I can see dropping this off my pull-list.

No comments: