Saturday, October 31, 2009

Crate Digging: The Holocaust

by Blue Sky Black Death and The Holocaust

It had been a few years since I heard this, and I find that listening to this album today matches my memories of it perfectly.

It is clear from the beginning that this is Blue Sky Black Death's album, and that they did their best to accommodate the monotonous flow of their emcee. The production on this album is dark, yet lush and beautiful. They create brooding beats, deserving of a more versatile lyricist.

Holocaust seems to have only one style of delivery: monotone. His lyrics are repetitive, and are further marred by the slight sense of urgency in his voice, as if at any moment, he was afraid that the producers would fire him. He hits all the requisite nerdcore tropes, rapping about aliens, comic books, and how a hippopotamus can bite an alligator in half (I'm not making this up).

The weak and annoying lyrics do keep this album from shining. I see that it's possible to purchase this as an instrumental album; if only I'd known that at the time. In terms of production, this is a strong showing though, even if it doesn't anticipate the glory of Slow Burning Lights.

No comments: