Sunday, December 13, 2009

Crate Digging: Panorama

by Braintax

I picked this up a couple of years ago while traveling in England. Braintax was getting a lot of love on the message boards I used to read at that time (I do miss hiphopsite.com), and I was definitely pleased with this album.

Braintax is a very political beast, calling out the usual villains - Bush, Blair, and Sharon. He's critical of British politics, both foreign and domestic, British culture, and British self-complacency. And of course, the music industry.

This is not just some guy sitting around and bitching though. His lyrics are quick and clever, and he mostly wraps the whole thing together with some well-chosen hip-hop beats from a bunch of British producers I am totally unfamiliar with. At times, the music gets a little too minimalist for me - there are some attempts at club or stage-ready songs here, but for the most part, this is an album that would fit well within the North American underground, except perhaps for the accent.

No comments: