Saturday, December 5, 2009

By The Throat

by Eyedea & Abilities

I've been hesitant to write about this album, because I find that I have to be in a particular mood to be able to enjoy it. I frequently find Eyedea's vocals to be irritating - there's something about the urgency in his voice, when played over a half hour, that starts to get to me.

This is a genre-bashing disk. Abilities's beats owe much more to rock than hip-hop, and Eyedea often sings or chants his lyrics. We're in closer territory to Flobots than Limp Bizkit though, so it's all manageable.

There are some songs that I can really feel on here, but overall, the album sounds a little too much the same, and I don't really differentiate much between tracks. This is probably my least favourite Rhymesayers release of the year, although I do keep it in the rotation.

The track that has the words, "I can still smell you inside me," creeps me out. That's nasty.

No comments: