Monday, February 23, 2009

Sharknife Vol. 1

by Corey Lewis

This is a strange book. I've really enjoyed the Original English Manga work of Brandon Graham and James Stokoe, and have heard Lewis mentioned in their company, so I thought I'd give this a try. It's much like their work in terms of general set-up. Caesar Hallelujah is a busboy at a massive Chinese restaurant that happens to have hideous monsters living in its walls. He is the only one able to fight off the monsters, because when he eats a fortune cookie, he becomes Sharknife, a big super-hero kind of guy, who fights monsters. That's about it for plot - it's loosely a revenge/jealousy kind of story, but that's hard to follow.

Actually, much of this book is hard to follow. Unlike Graham and Stokoe's clearly defined panels and action, Sharknife is rather all over the place in its action scenes, and therefore I found the action very difficult to understand at times. As well, I didn't feel like there was enough emotional weight to the story. I know books like this are supposed to be silly, but I never found myself all that interested in what was going on. It just all felt a little flat to me.

On the up side, I saw that the second volume of Stokoe's Wonton Soup is in the next issue of Previews. I wish I knew what was going to happen with King City 2.

No comments: