Sunday, February 8, 2009

I Am Legion: The Dancing Faun #1

Written by Fabien Nury
Art by John Cassaday


I know that this series originally came out years ago, but I never bothered picking it up for some reason or another, which in the end is a good thing, as the DC/Humanoids version never saw completion. Now DDP has entered into a publishing agreement with Humanoids, and they are printing the entire series.

The problem with this new version has a lot to do with formatting - fitting a European graphic novel into a 6-issue series means arbitrarily cutting off the story after x number of pages, which can be quite disruptive to the story-telling. Add to that the fact that European comics take their time in getting to some exposition, and you have a slightly confusing book on your hands. I'm not sure I've figured out all that is going on in this first issue, but I am intrigued enough to stick with it.

The story seems to be about some sort of body-jumping entity, a little girl with powers, a secret investigative group, and some Romanian guys with guns. Like I said, I'm not all that clear on what's happening, but maybe I just need to read it again.

Cassaday's art, it comes as no surprise, is fantastic here, and makes the purchase worth while.

No comments: