Monday, August 2, 2010

The Surrogates: Flesh and Bone

Written by Robert Venditti
Art by Brett Weldele

I really liked the first Surrogates collection, and although I knew that this volume was pretty much only created to tie in with the movie (which I haven't seen), I figured it was worth checking out nonetheless.

This story, structured as a four issue mini-series, even though it was only released in this collected format, serves as a prequel to the original comic.  As such, it covers the backstory of many of the key players in that book, while telling the story of the Hayes case and how it was used to build the power and profile of the Prophet.

Had I read these two books close together in time, I'm sure I would have found this story rather unnecessary and frustrating, as it would have been going over familiar ground.  Since it's been almost a year since I read the other book, I was able to enjoy this on a more individual level, although I did always have a sense of knowing what was going to happen next.

Venditti makes good use of this retroactive opportunity to lay the groundwork of the world he's constructed, I just don't know how essential it really is.  To read this followed by the other book might be a better way for a new reader to experience the story.

As is increasingly the case, Weldele does a great job on the art, turning in some of his clearest and most easily followed work to date.  This has been an interesting property, but I think there is little more to say on this subject or about these characters.

No comments: