Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Seu Jorge and Almaz

by Seu Jorge and Almaz

This might very well be my favourite album of this summer. 

Seu Jorge is a Brazilian singer and actor (he had a role in City of God, one of my favourite movies, and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, which he provided the soundtrack for) with a deep, golden voice, whose timbre reminds me a little of mid-90s Leonard Cohen in its mellifluousness.

The album is made up of twelve tracks, only some of which have vocals.  The sound is a jazz/rock hybrid, which has been tempered in the Brazilian sun.  I believe most of the songs are original compositions (not being too familiar with the Brazilian standards), but Jorge does cover Roy Ayer's 'Everybody Loves the Sunshine' (best track on the disk), and Michael Jackson's 'Rock With You'.

I cannot recommend this album enough.

No comments: