Friday, December 5, 2008

The Sword #13

by the Luna Brothers

So, if a character were to say something like, "Do you really think we're going to track Knossos down, just by following some two-bit dealer?", and then, two pages later, that plan actually works, despite the fact that the characters have been in the city for about 20 minutes (and only a couple of pages, most of which were flashback), does that qualify as an admission by the writers that they are aware that things are going slightly off the rails?

I really liked The Sword at the beginning, and I still enjoy it, but I feel like there has been a conscious effort made by the Lunas to finish the series quickly now. It took about five issues for this book to really get going, but the slow pace was warranted by the type of epic story they were telling. Now I feel like there is a huge rush to get to the next battle, and plotting and character development are no longer concerns. I don't know if they have an end-number in mind for this series, but it seems it's going to come sooner than I would have originally expected.

It's too bad, because this is an interesting book with an interesting concept.

No comments: