Sunday, December 14, 2008

30 Days of Night: 30 Days 'Til Death #1

by David Lapham

I've never read any of the 30 Days of Night series, nor have I seen the movie. In fact, all I knew about it before picking up this book, was that it was about vampires.

The reason I got this is because of David Lapham. I've been a Lapham fan since the Plasm days, and Young Liars is one of my favourite current books (unfortunately, my comic store didn't have this weeks issue).

So, going into this, I didn't really know what to expect. It has some very familiar Lapham-esque tropes to it: the dysfunctional group of neighbours is reminiscent of the haunted apartment building of his Spectre story in Tales of the Unexpected a couple of years back.

I don't know if the main character, Rufus, is a regular in this series, or is Lapham's own creation. He kidnaps a junkie (unless she's also a vampire), and ties her to his bed. He also tries to help his neighbours straighten out their drug-dealing grandson. As all of this is going on, there is a shadowy vampire meeting in Germany, where we find out that some Nosferatu-looking old guy has sent a vampire death squad to America to kill American cowboy vampires, which I think its safe to assume, will include Rufus.

I like that I don't need to know much of the backstory (although a text page at the beginning would have been nice) to undersand this series, and I am looking forward to reading the rest of it.

No comments: