Sunday, December 14, 2008

100 Bullets Vol. 2: Split Second Chance

Written by Brian Azzarello
Art by Eduardo Risso


I know that I need a late pass for 100 Bullets, but whenever I looked through any single issues, I always knew it would be a difficult book to jump onto. Now that it's finishing up, I figured it would be a good time to start hunting the trades on Ebay (not such a good plan - no one ever seems to sell volume three - at least Boxing Day sales are coming).

This volume contains a nice mix of single, two-part, and three-part stories. Azzarello slowly portions out information about Agent Graves, Mr. Shepherd, the Trust, and the Minutemen. After finishing this book, I have no idea about any of these things, but I'm very interested in learning more.

Probably the greatest strength of this series is the art by Risso. Azzarello lets him tell the story his way, with some very bizarre camera angles (the gas-pedal cam?), and by shunting the main story into the background to set up a later scene in the foreground. Look at the scene where Shepherd and Lono have a meeting on a patio - there is a whole story told about some thugs, a guy with a pitbull, and a dishonest waitress, all while Shepherd and Lono chat.

I regret not having followed this all along, but am looking forward to continuing to collect this series in trades.

No comments: