Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Leave It All Behind

by The Foreign Exchange

It's not hip-hop, but it is one of the most beautiful albums of the year. The first Foreign Exchange album is one of my all-time favourite hip-hop albums, largely because of the freedom with which is plays with the genre.

On this album, Phonte and Nicolay give up almost all pretense of rap (Phonte only spits on one track), and instead have created a lush and relaxing album of pop songs. Three years ago, I don't think I would have played this a second time, but now it grows on me more each time I turn it on. Phonte is an incredibly gifted singer (I still like his raps better), and he is well-matched by singers like Muhsinah and Yahzarah. Nicolay's music is fantastic.

My favourite track is the last one - the one from which the album gets its title. Highly recommended.

No comments: