Sunday, December 7, 2008

Rasl #3

by Jeff Smith

I know that I'm rather late in reviewing this title, but seeing as the next issue won't be out until March, it really doesn't matter.

Right now, I'm enjoying this series more than I did Bone. I find that Smith is doing better work when unencumbered by writing for a younger audience.

This issue finally starts to unravel some of the threads of the series, and I'm starting to get a sense of what this is all about, and where it might be going. The revelation that Rasl and the lizard guy are unique in all of the parallel Earths that they travel through must be significant.

Smith's art continues to be expressive and easy to follow. His simple line work looks best in black-and-white, and it's good to see him working on a regular series again. I just wish it would come out more frequently than every 5 or 6 months (but at least he's not soliciting it monthly and putting it out on that schedule, like so many other small presses do).

No comments: