Thursday, August 13, 2009

Red Herring #1

Written by David Tischman
Art by Philip Bond and David Hahn


Alright, I'm going to need to read this again. I like the story, I'm interested in where it goes, but I'm quite certain that I missed a lot of things reading this first issue. Let me reconstruct my thinking on this comic.

I love Philip Bond's work. That was the main reason why I bought this book, without reading the solicitation text or anything. Bond's work on "Shade the Changing Man" was great, even if he suffered from the problem of not being Chris Bachalo. I also enjoyed him on Vimanarama, Kill Your Boyfriend, and other odd things.

David Tischman I only know from Greatest Hits, which I enjoyed after a rocky start.

So, this issue. The book opens with Maggie MacGuffin, and a lot of second-person narrative. Both are strange choices. I'm not usually a fan of 2nd person. Furthermore, the name MacGuffin carries a lot of literary suggestion; but then, the title is referring to a character's name, so that's clearly where Tischman is going with this.

From there, we see some political intern sexual indiscretion, some shady government types meeting a man named Weiner on the Washington Mall, an alien body in the past, and other strange hijinks. More than enough to get me hooked, even if I have no clue how it all connects.

Maggie's character is the only one developed here, but she's a strong one. I'm going to make sure I read this again before the next issue comes out, but I am looking forward to it.

No comments: