Monday, August 3, 2009

H.P.'s Rock City

by Moebius (with Claudine Giraud, Dan O'Bannon, and Philippe Druillet)

I hadn't read any Moebius comics in years, so when I saw this at a used bookstore, I figured it had to come home with me. This slim book, published in 1996, contains nine short stories by the French master, mostly dealing with the usual themes of his work - science fiction, exploration of alien worlds, and the danger that exists on them.

About a month ago, I was channel surfing and came across a documentary about Moebius and his work, and the filmmakers were interviewing Dan O'Bannon about 'The Long Tomorrow', the story they collaborated on, which appears in this book. It's a Raymond Chandler-esque private detective (or confidential nose, as it's called here), set in a city that later inspired the look of Blade Runner. It's a good story.

The other strongest piece here is 'White Nightmare,' a more realistic piece about racism and anti-immigrant vigilantes. The biggest surprise in this piece is that it is coloured by Lynn Varley.

This book is a quick read, and has only served to reawaken my interest in some of Moebius's longer, and more involved, pieces.

No comments: