Monday, August 31, 2009

100 Bullets Vol. 10: Decayed

Written by Brian Azzarello
Art by Eduardo Risso


So I'm burning through these trades, trying to get as far as possible through my over-sized stack of books to read before I have to go back to work next week, and a few things are becoming apparent about this series:

1. Azzarello really wasn't writing this for the trade at all. Most of the time, each volume contains one longer (4 issues give or take) story, and maybe a two or three parter, and a single or two; there is no set pattern. I like that - too many writers are only writing for the trade, although it does give me one more reason to feel foolish for having let this one get past me when it was published monthly.

2. Risso's work sometimes looks like Frank Miller. I've noticed that before, but never put word to keyboard on it. Who's the better artist? In terms of consistency, I'd have to say Risso. I'd love to see Lynn Varley do some work with him, as I think she'd colour his stuff nicely (Patricia Mulvihill does a fantastic job on this though).

3. Too many of the Minutemen look the same to me. Cole, the boxing guy; sometimes I have to really slow down to figure out who's who. I can't imagine giving it a few months between trades; I'd be totally lost.

Anyway, this is another good volume. The strongest part is the done-in-one that finishes it off, and shows how in a lot of ways, both Graves and Lono are just playing games with each other. Only three volumes to go, but I think I'll take a break from it for a bit, and give a few other things a try.

No comments: