Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Longbox Digging: Sleeper Season Two #1-12

Written by Ed Brubaker
Art by Sean Phillips


Having just read my way through the trade of Season One of this title, half of it for the first time, I was too wrapped up in the story to not dig out the single issues for the second season, and finish the story.

In this run, Brubaker completely switches up the rules that govern Carver's life. In the first volume, the drama came from the fact that Carver, a double-agent working for John Lynch and I.O., was stuck in Tao's criminal organization with no protection, as Lynch lay in a coma. Now, Lynch is awake, and Carver is trying to work his own agenda.

He no longer cares about achieving Lynch's goals. He also has led Tao to believe that he is completely on his side. Meanwhile, he is simply trying to keep his friends safe, and to find a cure for his bizarre medical condition / super-powers.

This series feels a little quicker-paced, as the three men work their plans, and Carver's relationships throw wrinkle after wrinkle into his plans. There is his former fiancee, now working for Lynch and believing that he is still a good man. And then there's Miss Misery, a truly great character, who loves Carver, but also can not be trusted in any way.

One thing that I felt worked even better in Season Two than Season One was the further integration of the Wildstorm universe. Grifter, from the WildCATS makes a couple of appearances here, which fits as he has history with each of the principal characters.

Phillip's art throughout this comic is incredible. I love the way he lays out the pages, with assymetrical panel layouts, and a lot of diagonal storytelling. As well, I think that the cover logo has one of the best designs I've ever seen in comics (I love the man on top of the 'L').

Placing this book within the Brubaker/Phillips oeuvre, I would have to say I prefer it over Incognito, although Criminals is still their best work.

No comments: