Monday, August 24, 2009

100 Bullets Vol. 8: The Hard Way

Written by Brian Azzarello
Art by Eduardo Risso


I started reading this volume with mixed expectations. I have been enjoying this series quite a bit since I started reading it in trades, but I realized that this volume collected the two or three issues that I'd decided to buy a while back, when the originally appeared, because I couldn't decide if I wanted to jump on this book or not.

It was the bear traps that made me decide to stay away. I still can think of very few images in comics that have ever sent a shiver down my spine with more force than the scene in this book where a couple of rednecks throw a bear trap at a girl. Of course, that ended up being topped a little later in this volume, when the bear traps come out again, but I won't say anything about that here. It's pretty horrifying, and really, it's rare that stuff like this affects me.

Anyway, reading this within the context of all that has gone before, it's one of my favourite volumes yet. In addition to seeing Wylie finally get himself together, we get a history of the Trust, and huge things happen right at the very end of the book, hinting at a new status quo as of volume nine. I can see now how the first pile of books were simply Azzarello laying the groundwork for the second half of the series, and I am quite excited to see how it all ends. As usual, Risso's work here is pure brilliance.

No comments: