Thursday, August 13, 2009

BPRD 1947 #2

Written by Mike Mignola and Joshua Dysart
Art by Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon


As I've stated before, I'm quite new to the Hellboy franchise, so I don't know how this title fits in the cannon, but I have been intrigued by this title.

While the party at the castle scene didn't do much to excite me - I don't really care about the characters at all, the rest of this book was excellent. I loved when the other three soldiers arrived at the ruins of the castle to find signs that we, as readers could recognize from the first half of the book. I also liked the interplay between the soldiers and the ghosts/demons/vampires(?). I found my concentration was drifting a little before that happened, and then it drew me back in nicely.

The big draw of this book is the work of Bá and Moon. As usual, their stuff looks fantastic here. They add a lot of atmosphere to the book, and some of their characters (especially the kid on the boat) look downright creepy.

No comments: