Sunday, August 23, 2009

Hellblazer #258

Written by Peter Milligan
Art by Giuseppe Camuncoli and Stefano Landini

I keep deciding to drop this title, and then give it another issue, which ends up convincing me to stick with it. I think that this has not been a very consistent run. Milligan has some great ideas, and the art by Camuncoli and Landini has been very nice, but there is a lack of cohesiveness.

I'm inclined to think that the events of this issue, involving death, alchemical resurrection, zombies, and police, do a good job of setting up the next set of storylines to be interesting, fast-paced, and a little unusual for a Constantine story. The only problem is, the next few issues are drawn by Simon Bisley, of whom I'm not a fan anymore (when was Lobo cool again?).

So: we've got John on the run from the police and a gangster, looking for revenge on a love-sick ekkimu, and I'm certain that if Camuncoli was the artist on the next issue, I'd be singing the praises of this one so much more. I guess I'll have to take a good look through the next issue before I decide if it's coming home.

No comments: