Saturday, March 7, 2009

House of Mystery #11

Written by Matthew Sturges
Art by Luca Rossi and Jim Fern


I just can't seem to make up my mind about this title. I decided half-way through the last arc that I was finished with House of Mystery, and was just waiting out my pre-orders on the title (of which this issue is the last one), but then this issue got me intrigued again. This is the second time this has happened to me.

In this issue, we get some nice character development, especially between Fig and her father. More than that, it is the intimation that there is much more going on with Harry than he has led the others to believe, that has me curious about the next issue. The 'story', featuring nice artwork by Jim Fern, was also interesting, but ultimately didn't provide any of the information I'd hoped for (unless it did, and it will become clear later on).

I really wanted to like this book from the beginning - I think that the concept is a sound one, but I find that the inclusion of a second story in each issue (by some amazing artists) is detracting from the main story, and so, almost a year in, I don't have much interest in the characters or the drama. The next issue will make or break this title for me.

No comments: