Sunday, January 25, 2009

Thought for Food: Vol. 1 & 2

by Bronze Nazareth

For some reason, I'd expected this to be an album, not a mixtape, and so I was disappointed with it somewhat. There are plenty of new tracks spread over these two discs, but what we mostly get are slight remixes of Bronze's best known work, and the album versions of a lot of his work that has appeared in other places. There's nothing wrong with that, but I already own most of these songs, and I was really looking forward to something totally new from this incredibly talented artist.

Bronze's production is amazing. He has picked up RZA's torch, but also seems to be moving into new areas all his own. On the mic, he is a capable MC, and he surrounds himself with artists that share his sensibilities.

The last track on the 2nd cd, "My Pain is Inside These Notes" hints at a much more sensitive artist than he usually shows. "BaRonze Obama" is very topical, and one of my preferred tributes. In all, this is a good compilation of Bronze's work, and is a very good place to start if you don't already own 'The Great Migration' or the Wisemen album. I would really like to see an all-new album soon though....

No comments: