Saturday, January 17, 2009

I Kill Giants #7

Written by Joe Kelly
Art by JM Ken Niimura


This book is the perfect example of why Image is my favourite comic publisher. It must have been a strange pitch from the beginning - young girl fights giants and bullies and carries around a gigantic mystical hammer named after a baseball player in her little purse, but also runs from something bad going on at home. It's by a superhero writer who has critical acclaim (if sporadic commercial success), and a European artist who is basically unknown in North America, who draws in a manga style. Most comic companies wouldn't touch it. I can't see this title working at Vertigo or Dark Horse - it's too different from everything else they do. But it found a home at Image, and I'm grateful for that.

This has been a compelling series from the beginning, and its ending here is riveting. Barbara is a fascinating character, with great strength. The cast of characters Kelly and Niimura put together are interesting and enjoyable.

I could go on at great length about my enthusiasm for this series, but it's been said better than I could at the Comics Should Be Good blog at CBR. I agree with Greg Burgas completely - more people should have been reading this book, and they should definitely pick it up in trade if they can't find the single issues. It's a very rewarding series.

No comments: