Monday, January 5, 2009

Peoples Market

by Misled Children

I don't know the slightest thing about the Misled Children. A careful reading of the cd packaging provides no idea of who the Children are, or how many of them there are. All that it tells us is that the album was made 'Under the supervision of Clutchy Hopkins,' which of course clears everything up. Except for the fact that no one knows who Clutchy Hopkins is either.

The myth of Clutchy is that he is a vagabond musician, roaming deserts and deserted places, and occassionally gifting people with some incredible music, that somehow always finds it way to the good people at Ubiquity, and now, I suppose, Porter Records. The rumour is that Clutchy is a well-known hip-hop producer trying something new under a pseudonym.

In the absence of personality, ego, and even track names, all that is left to do is focus on the music. This cd is very nice. The tracks on this album sound very much like the last two Clutchy Hopkins releases - a melding of instrumental jazz and hip-hop, with repetitive structures. The different tracks tend to bleed into each other in my mind, even though they have finite endings. This is a funky little album, and I enjoy it more each time I play it. The Clutchy Hopkins/Misled Children music machine is a prolific one - I made five purchases this year (although I think that one is a year or two old), and I think I have the complete oeuvre, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'd missed something along the way.

No comments: