Thursday, October 7, 2010

Unknown Soldier #24

Written by Joshua Dysart
Art by Alberto Ponticelli

With only one issue left in this title, Dysart uses this month's installment to reveal all of the secrets surrounding the real identity of Moses Lwanga, and the source of the voice he's been hearing in his head since the first issue.  As it turns out, Moses's story is much more intertwined with the original, Joe Kubert 70s Unknown Soldier than I would have expected. 

I don't want to give anything away, except to say that I felt that Dysart has honored Kubert's character very nicely here, and in a way that I didn't expect.

As Moses has a lengthy conversation with himself, one riddled with flashbacks, he also approaches the camp of Joseph Kony and his Lord's Resistance Army, the real-life bad guys of this series.  That Kony is a real person, and that this series has been so grounded in the recent history of Uganda makes the conclusion to this series completely unpredictable.  I don't feel like Moses should be able to succeed in his mission, but at the same time, I'm rooting for him.

I'm really going to miss this series.

No comments: