Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Sixth Gun #5

Written by Cullen Bunn
Art by Brian Hurtt

When The Sixth Gun started, I thought it was a cool comic based around an interesting concept, but I found it had some problems with pacing.  Increasingly, I now see this book as one of my essential reads each month.

Bunn has spun out his tale in such a way as to completely engage my interests, as in this issue, Sinclair and his small band travel to the Maw, the site of the General's old prison camp.  There is something buried in the Maw, and while Sinclair and a group of former prisoners who now live there think it is vast riches, the mystical guns suggest that it is something much more evil than that.

I have enjoyed the way the book's mysteries have been played so close to the vest, as information slowly trickles out to the reader.  Originally I thought this was only going to be a six-issue mini-series, but now I understand this title to be an on-going, which makes me happy.

No comments: