Friday, October 15, 2010

Atelier

by Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá

There are a number of reasons why I love my comic book store, but the main reason this week is because they returned from NYCC with a small stack of Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá's recently self-published sketchbook/mini-comic/how-to guide, Atelier, and didn't even over-charge for it.

This book is forty pages long, and is basically a stream-of-consciousness tone poem, complete with the twin brothers' musings about creating comics, presented in four different languages.  The book lacks the story-driven punch of their incredible Daytripper series (which is on my very short list for 'best series of the year'), but instead is designed to show off their impressive artistic talents and sensibilities.

This is a surreal piece of work.  A scene where the twins, as young boys, are drawing in the sand on a beach, slowly turns into a series of drawings centring on sea life.  It's a very lovely piece of work.

I'm glad I got the chance to pick this up.  The brothers are favourites of mine (see below), and it was a nice surprise to see a book I didn't even know had been (self-)published.

No comments: