Thursday, October 14, 2010

BPRD Hell on Earth - New World #3

Written by Mike Mignola and John Arcudi
Art by Guy Davis

As much as I've enjoyed BPRD in the past, I think I'm beginning to enjoy it even more since it's become "BPRD Hell on Earth".  This has always been a title where unpredictable things can happen, but I feel that they've really removed any sort of safety net now, and made the book even more random in terms of wanton destruction and the chance that characters won't survive.  For example, in this issue, a volcano suddenly appears and kills millions in Texas.

What makes this book so strong is the interactions between the characters.  I loved seeing Abe working with Daimyo again, as they deal with some kind of tentacle-y thing in BC, and the conversation between Kate, Johann, and the UN guy (does he have a name yet?) is priceless.  As the world starts falling apart all around them, this book is funnier than it ever was before.  I appreciate that.

No comments: