Friday, October 15, 2010

Sweets #3

by Kody Chamberlain

I'm glad I decided to stick with Sweets.  On the one hand, it's a fairly conventional police procedural, but Chamberlain has done enough to the story to make it stay pretty interesting.

I like that the story is set in New Orleans just days before Hurricane Katrina is set to make landfall.  It adds a sense of urgency to the story, as the reader knows a few things the characters don't about how hard it will become to catch the killer in just a matter of days.

Also, I like the way that the two detectives go about their business.  Their crotchety relationship, and innovative approaches to policing remind me a little of some of the better scenes in Homicide: Life on the Streets, which is always a kind comparison to make.  Finally, the flashback pages, with their bright colours and more primitive art style continue to be my favourite part of the book.

I did find the last few pages of the comic to be pretty confusing.  Was that Sweets, the killer, firing at the two cops, or was that just some random New Orleans violence?  The other two issues gave Sweets some screen time, and this issue does not, so I wasn't sure who I was looking at.

Still and all though, this is a pretty good comic.

No comments: