Sunday, October 3, 2010

Madlib Medicine Show No. 8 - Advanced Jazz

mixed by Madlib

Following up on his impressive High Jazz compositions, Madlib has decided to take us all back to school with Advanced Jazz, an educational and entertaining survey of the history of jazz music.

Not being very knowledgeable on this topic, I don't feel I can speak with any authority on the decisions made with regards to who and what got included on this compilation, but what I can say is that this is an incredible musical journey, as Madlib spins 80 minutes of terrific music.  The fact that I didn't recognize a single piece means that he stayed away from the well-traveled paths through the Verve and Blue Note catalogues, instead choosing to grace us with some more obscure cuts.

As usual on a Madlib Medicine Show production, there are a number of strange vocal samples, encompassing such topics as weed (always) and blaxploitation films.

I know I keep saying this, but I feel this is the strongest entry in the Medicine Show to date (which I hope gets back on track soon).

No comments: