Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Tale of One Bad Rat

by Bryan Talbot

I remember reading this series when it was originally published by Dark Horse back in the early 90's, and I still have the original issues in a box somewhere, but when I realized I could add the trade to another purchase on Ebay for a dollar or two, I felt the need to read it again.

I haven't read much of Talbot's work.  I've yet to check out Grandville, Alice in Sunderland, or Luther Arkwright, and re-reading this book tonight, I have to wonder why I've deprived myself.  This guy is incredibly talented and nuanced.

The Tale of One Bad Rat is all about Helen, a young British girl who has run away from home to escape the abuse she's been suffering at the hands of her father for years.  She has all the classical signs of an abused child - lack of trust, fear of physical contact - and her only friend is a pet rat.

Helen has always had a strong like for (or fixation on) the work of Beatrix Potter, who she shares many qualities and circumstances with.  As the book progresses, Helen leaves London for the countryside, and faces down her fears and demons.  The book does transcend the typical 'survivor's memoir' types of stories that have become so fashionable in the fifteen years since its publications, and gives us an interesting story, made all the better with Talbot's art.

Highly recommended.

No comments: