Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Felt 3: A Tribute to Rosie Perez

by Slug and Murs (with Aesop Rock)

I could have sworn that I reviewed this album months ago, but apparently not.  The second Felt album was a huge favourite of mine, it having come out right around the same time that I'd discovered Atmosphere.  There's a different chemistry at play when Slug collaborates with Murs; they both become more playful and light-hearted.

This time around, the pair are joined by Aesop Rock on the beats (and he appears on one song).  If I had my choice, I'd prefer to see Ant handling the production, but this does work out pretty well, even if a couple of songs sound like they belong on None Shall Pass

The album starts off just fine, but really picks up steam in the middle through to about the seventeenth track (this is a long one folks).  There are a couple of truly annoying songs on here - 'Get Cake' and 'We Have You Surrounded', but the rest of the album is quite decent.

Aside from the rather infectious 'Henrietta Longbottom', there aren't too many memorable tracks on this album.  I blame the consistent sameness of AR's production.  At the same time, it's still a quality album.

No comments: