Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Secret History Book 2: Castle of the Djinns

Written by Jean-Pierre Pécau
Art by Igor Kordey

This issue was a little disappointing compared with the first volume.  I found that it was a little harder to get a sense of who the characters were, and in some scenes, I really didn't know who I was looking at.  That's not just a fault of the artist, it has a lot to do with the lack of exposition as the story unfolded.

Now, I'm freely admitting that some of that confusion may be blamed on my ignorance of the time period depicted; the extent of my knowledge of the crusades comes from reading Tariq Ali's "The Book of Saladin."  I don't know who Renaud of Châtillon is, nor do I know very much about the Knights Templar and the Grail quests of that time.  This book was originally published in France, where I would assume some of this is taught as part of the basic school curriculum.

The other issue I had with this book is the amount of time that has elapsed between volumes, and the incredulity of the concept that Djo's runestone would have remained hidden for such a long stretch.

Once I look past that, the story is still intriguing.  I see that the next issue stays in the same time frame and geographic location, so perhaps more will become clear.

No comments: