Saturday, April 24, 2010

DV8: Gods and Monsters #1

Written by Brian Wood
Art by Rebekah Isaacs

I vaguely remember reading the first two or three issues of DV8 in its original run (because of Humberto Ramos, who I was really feeling at the time), but what drew me to this revamp was Brian Wood's name; he's one of the few writers I will buy unconditionally. 

I have no recollection of who these characters are, and Wood gives us nothing in the way of recap, choosing instead to open the story with one of the characters, Copycat, being interrogated on a Carrier (the Authority's?  I don't know) about some stuff that happened on a planet.  She begins to tell her tale, of how she fell out of the sky on some primitive planet, right into the middle of a battle between two groups of barbarians.  Her teammate, Frostbite rescues her, and goes on to tell her how the same thing had happened to him and the rest of the team, and how they have split up and are being worshiped by different factions on the planet.

Most of this issue is set-up, and doesn't really read like a typical Brian Wood comic.  There is enough here to give some hope for future issues, and Rebekah Isaacs's work is nice, if kind of standard for the Wildstorm line.  I don't really know why the decision was made to resurrect these characters from whatever limbo they were languishing in, or if this story is in the same continuity as all that World's End nonsense that is happening in the other Wildstorm titles.  My intent is to stick with this for a bit, and see if Wood does something impressive with it.

No comments: