Monday, April 26, 2010

For Whom the Cell Tolls

by Nathaniel Rich

About fifteen years ago, I read a particularly vivid article in the New Yorker about Mad Cow Disease, and despite the fact that I hadn't eaten beef in about seven years at that point, I managed to convince myself, while reading it, that I was displaying symptoms.  Last night, while reading this article in the latest Harper's, I got a sharp headache on the left side of my head, further proving to me just how susceptible I am to good writing.

Rich has spent about a year immersing himself in the research, myths, and fears surrounding electromagnetic radiation, particularly that emitted by cell phones and other wireless technology.  And it's some scary stuff.  While there are no conclusive studies that prove a connection, it is anecdotally very clear that the recent spike in instances of brain tumors has happened at the same time that cell phones have begun to blanket the Earth.

The best part of this article comes at the beginning, where Rich reports on the data from a variety of studies.  He has helpfully organized it so that one statement negates the next; proving that no one really knows what's going on, just that EM radiation is problematic.  He does a great job of providing the reader with a variety of viewpoints, and profiles some of the earliest crusaders in the fight against cellphone towers.  As usual, Europe is ahead of North America in setting standards and guidelines, which also causes concern.

I would have been happier if there was more useful information to help readers prevent unnecessary exposure, such as the suggestion that wireless routers shouldn't be kept in the bedroom.  This article is required reading for anyone who has a child that wants their own phone.

No comments: