Monday, September 6, 2010

Proof #28

Written by Alex Grecian
Art by Riley Rossmo

This is the last issue of Proof.  At least, until it re-launches in December as Proof Endangered, in a mini-series format.  I think it's probably a good thing that the creators of this book are taking it on a bit of a hiatus.  While they were incredibly consistent with a monthly schedule for the first twenty-odd issues of this comic, they've really fallen off in the later part of the book (this issue was solicited for January), and it sounds like they could use the rest for a while.

The lateness has really hurt this book during this Countdown arc.  Proof has always been more complex than a casual reader would realize, but with the sheer number of revelations, twists, and surprises that the last few issues have brought, the book has become downright confusing.  This issue particularly so.  It's full of secret conversations and half-sentence dialogue that appears to signify a great deal, but somehow consistently eludes me.  Put simply, I'm not sure I know what's going on in this book any more, and even worse, I'm not sure how much longer I'll care.

And so my hope is that when the comic returns, the first issue is going to explain some stuff, and draw me back in to the story, because I really like Proof (both the character and the book).  One thing that struck me as I read this, especially at the end, is how much Proof is like Hellboy.  I think it odd that I never noticed that before.

No comments: