Sunday, February 7, 2010

Tumi and the Volume

by Tumi and the Volume

I can't stress enough how much I love this album. I remember reading about it a few years ago when it first came out (early 2006) on hiphopsite.com (man, do I miss those boards), but I never found myself a copy, and I find whenever I download music, I don't actually listen to it. And so it wasn't until recently, when I saw this at HMV, that I finally got a chance to listen to it, and like someone tasting a new favorite food for the first time, my life has become richer for it.

Tumi and the Volume are a South African hip-hop group, using live instrumentation. Tumi is the emcee and producer, and the man is incredibly talented. The sound is kind of jazzy, with a very nice groove on each track.

Lyrically, Tumi sounds like a combination of K'Naan, Saul Williams, and Jay Electronica. He has a nice, laid back flow and serious skills as a poet. He comes across as a very humble, well-adjusted individual who is not searching for fame or wealth, but is recording because of the imperative many artists feel to express themselves. He raps about a number of topics: hip-hop, airplane security, the plight of South Africa, and the world's celebrity culture.

Every time I listen to this album, I notice something new, and appreciate it more. It's easily one of the best hip-hop albums of the decade.

No comments: