Saturday, February 13, 2010

BPRD: The Warning #1-5

Written by Mike Mignola and John Arcudi
Art by Guy Davis


This arc feels like a total mess, as it jumps all over the place. What starts as a story about a seance and an attempt to figure out who is stalking/haunting one of the characters leads into a huge War of the Worlds type fight in a German city. At the same time though, as a test case as to whether or not I want to start collecting the title, it has completely drawn me in.

I like the fact that some of the antagonists in this arc are related to the creatures that were causing trouble in the very first trade that I read the other day. I've always been attracted to comics that take years to unfold their story, and it's clear from reading this that Mignola and company have been doing just that.

I also find myself drawn in by the characters. The strange crew that makes up the BPRD are a pretty interesting bunch. The character of Panya, an ancient Egyptian mummy that has been revived is of particular interest.

Finally, I've been a Guy Davis fan since I first read Sandman Mystery Theatre. I think I might be getting hooked here...

No comments: