Sunday, February 21, 2010

Mesmo Delivery

by Rafael Grampá

When this book was first published by Adhouse a couple of years ago, I coveted it a great deal, but never actually bought it. I think I was put off by the $12.50 price tag for such a slim book. When I saw that Dark Horse was reprinting this title, and at only $10, I jumped at the chance to finally read it.

Mesmo Delivery is an insane collision of a Robert Rodriguez movie (not Spy Kids, one of the crazy ones) with Geof Darrow and Frank Quitely, with perhaps a touch of Paul Pope tossed in for seasoning. It is about a pair of truckers (one of whom can't drive) and a fight at a seedy truck-stop. It's also about the iconography of old school advertising, but less so.

Grampá's art is incredible. He experiments with lay-out and page design, and includes every little detail you could think of when drawing. His characters have pores (and sometimes giant prosthetic fists).

This is a really fun read, and an impressive piece of work. I don't know what this guy has been up to for the last few years, because I would really like to read more from him.

No comments: