Thursday, December 23, 2010

Morning Glories #5

Written by Nick Spencer
Art by Joe Eisma

I'm kind of surprised that this title is continuing to get as much attention as it is.  Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying reading it, but I would think that by this point, when so little has been explained and the unknowns keep piling up, that a lot of people would be walking away.

See, while Spencer has done a terrific job of developing these characters and making their interactions fascinating reading, the actual mysteries surrounding the purpose of Morning Glory Academy doesn't interest me that much.  It's clear that the staff at the school are searching for something within their students, and that Casey seems to be the person most likely to have that spark of whatever, but nothing else has been explained.  Even in this issue, when Mr. Gribbs explains himself, nothing is really revealed.  It's all mind games.

I'd be fine with the whole comic if it were just mind games, but there is some sort of science fiction or magical element being introduced into the comic - check out the otherwise empty basement room with some huge spinning thing and a ghostly dude in it - that feels to me like it is detracting more than it adds.

Still, I find myself liking this characters more and more, and the way Spencer writes them makes me want to keep coming back.  He has a really good handle on teen characters.

No comments: