Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Eritrea's Got Soul

by Asmara All Stars

A surprisingly large number of my favourite people are Eritrean.  I don't live or work in communities which have a surplus of people from this small country, it just seems that the people from there that cross my path become dear to me.

I guess it's no surprise that I really like this album then.  On it, producer Bruno Blum has gathered together a large number of Eritrean musicians and vocalists, from different regions of the country and different ethnic groups, and recorded thirteen songs that represent the diversity and musicality of the country.

The album has a nice mix of Afro-beat, funk, soul, jazz, and traditional recordings.  The liner notes are as exhaustive as any African compilation, as Blum provides us with the stories of these artists.  This is a very lovely album, which I enjoy quite a bit.

No comments: