Friday, December 3, 2010

The Killer: Modus Vivendi #6

Written by Matz
Art by Luc Jacamon

This has ended up being both my favourite issue of The Killer, and possibly the most frustrating.  When I started to read this, I thought that, in addition to being the last issue in this mini-series, it was the conclusion of the title in general.  As it turns out, there is a volume four (I suppose the first series encompassed volumes 1 and 2) still to be published in North America, and this issue leads directly into it.  In other words, nothing is resolved here at all.

But then, it's an amazing comic still.  The Killer is still trying to figure out what to do about the Venezuelan/Cuban/American triangle he's found himself in, and goes off to Montreal on a little working vacation with his friend and regular employer Marciano.  The Montreal pages are brilliant, as our Killer excoriates the city in one withering comment after another, and both he and Matz mock Quebecois speech patterns and the language in general.  As a proud Torontonian, it was a fun sequence.  I especially like the way that Jacamon portrayed the city - it's still lovely, but very gray, especially when compared to the usual settings for this comic.

I also found myself really enjoying the theological and political commentaries that are spread throughout this comic.  The Killer is not one for religion, and he explains this to us in a succinct and enjoyable way.  I really enjoy the political conversations that the Killer has with Marciano, who has now started speaking of Statesiders to refer to what the rest of the world calls Americans, simply because he is not happy that the rest of the Americas does not get to be called that.

The Killer has always been a very intelligent read, but I feel like it is becoming more refined and topical with each issue.  I hope there isn't too long a wait before Volume 4 begins, as there is a lot of momentum to this comic right now.

No comments: