Friday, September 25, 2009

No Hero #7

Written by Warren Ellis
Art by Juan Jose Ryp


I'm not sure what to say about this issue. No Hero started out to be an intelligent examination of heroics, and the effect that a small number of powered beings can have on the world. It had some interesting twists and turns to it, and some rather striking visuals.

This issue finishes the story, but it ends in a huge splatter-fest which, while providing a couple of surprises, feels a little hollow. I'm not sure exactly what might be missing, but I am coming away from this title a little unsatisfied.

Ryp's art maintains its detailed, Geoff Darrow-ish appeal, although some of the panels become lost in blood, spray, and gore.

I do like that Avatar gives Ellis such unlimited opportunities to play with superhero themes, but I feel like this particular series could have handled a little more editorial oversight.

No comments: